The Bluepencilagency First Novel Prize 2017
Win £1,000 and an introduction to literary agent, Eve White.
The runner up will receive a four night writing retreat at www.retreatsforyou.co.uk plus an editorial report.
Enter by clicking following the link https://bluepencilagency.com/shop/competition/
Any questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Saskia Sarginson – Richard and Judy bestselling author of The Twins, Without You, The Other Me, and The Stranger. www.saskiasarginson.co.uk
Eve White – leading literary agent representing some of the world’s bestselling authors alongside rising new talent. www.evewhite.co.uk
The team at Bluepencilagency will oversee all submissions.
Entries: The first chapter of the novel up to 5000 words.
Entry fee: £15 for each submission.
Closing date: June 30
A shortlist will be announced September 1. Those shortlisted will be asked to submit up to 20,000 words (includes the initial entry) by September 8.
The winners will be notified by email and announced on our website on October 31.
What we’re looking for:
- any genre with the exception of children’s fiction and non-fiction.
- a strong voice.
- an original and unforgettable story that grips the reader.
- an attention grabbing first paragraph.
- the prize is open to all unrepresented and unpublished authors of any age over 18.
- self-published authors are accepted
- the work must be completed or close to completion before the closing date June 30.
- entrants may submit more than one novel but as separate entries.
- the submitted work must not have won another competition.
- judges’ decision is final.
- entries must be written in English
- entries can only be submitted electronically via the Bluepencilagency site and payment made via Paypal.
How to submit
- please enter through the link on our website https://bluepencilagency.com/shop/competition/
- download your first chapter or up to 5000 words along with a 300 word synopsis and a covering letter.
- please ensure that the file name is the title of the story and ensure that this is also in the subject line of your email.
- entries must be in either a doc., docx, or pdf. No other formats will be accepted. If your work is shortlisted, the longer submission must be a pdf.
- entries must be double spaced in a clear font (Times New Roman or similar) and pages numbered.
- the novel’s title must be on every page but your name should not appear anywhere on the story.
- the covering letter should include the following details: your name, the title of your novel, your email address and telephone number, a brief CV or publication history and the genre of your novel if applicable (e.g. romance, contemporary, psychological thriller, cross genre, crime, women’s, general, literary)
- go to the Shop page and click on the paypal button to pay the fee.
- If payment is made using a different name, it is essential you include that name in the email you send with the story.